Monday, June 21, 2010

June 20 -- First Lutheran Church, Algona, Iowa

My parents grew up in and near Algona, Iowa. After long and interesting careers, they decided to retire there about 10 years ago. So to celebrate Fathers’ Day and my mom’s birthday, I spent the weekend in Algona.

I should say that of all my blessings, my parents and siblings were among the first and best and most enduring. All of them are smart and interesting people. They have great spouses and children, and I love spending time with them.

On Sunday, June 20, my mom and I attended worship at First Lutheran Church in Algona (ELCA). This is the church that my mom grew up in and the church where my parents were married in 1959. My dad grew up in a Missouri Synod Lutheran Church in Whittemore, but that is a story for another day.

First Lutheran Church was organized in 1882. They currently report 621 baptized members and average weekly worship attendance of 144. The current building was built in the mid-60’s and has been well maintained over the years. Recently they completed a major renovation of the narthex and entry-way to the church.

When I was growing up, since this was grandpa and grandma’s church, we attended worship at First occasionally. My home pastor’s name was Pastor (Stan) Carlson. The pastor at First at the time was Pastor (John) Carlson. Consequently, I thought all pastors were named “Pastor Carlson.”

It may have been because I was with my mom, but First Lutheran Church was very friendly when they greeted me as a visitor. At least 3 people greeted me warmly in the 5 minutes between our arrival and the beginning of worship. (Mom made us late. I would have been there at least 15 minutes early otherwise.)

First has a great sanctuary. I’ve always loved it. The room feels sort of diamond shaped with 2 walls of glass looking out over a beautiful lawn. The pews are arranged in a gentle v-shape, so that it almost feels like a church in the round… not quite, but almost. Front and center is a very traditional looking altar and pulpit arrangement.

The worship service was right out of the ELW (that’s our hymnal too), and was very straightforward.

The pastor at First is a woman. Now since women have been ordained for 30 years in the ELCA this is not the least bit surprising; but since the only pastor I’ve heard preach regularly for the past 9 years is a man (and me) it was a pleasant and noticeable difference. The pastor was poised and graceful in her leadership and had a preaching manner that was gentle and clear.

I don’t think women or men are inherently better in the role of pastor, but I do think that our gender often brings different gifts to that role. It’s hard for me to imagine a church without pastors of both genders.

I’ve long thought that Algona was the quintessential Iowa county-seat town. And so perhaps it’s not surprising that First Lutheran Church feels like the quintessential Iowa county-seat Lutheran church: traditional and friendly. (http://firstlutheranalgona.org/.)

That’s enough for now, more later.

Pastor

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Bill for the lovely review of our church. I love you, too. Mom

    ReplyDelete