Friday, June 4, 2010

June 4, 2010

A good start to my sabbatical. I’m in Birchwood, Wisconsin for a little rest and relaxation.

I stopped and spent some quality time with Mom and Dad. It’s fun to stay up late talking about life and family. I have great parents.

Spent a fun morning with my grandpa, who is 96. His health is fading, but his mind is pitch perfect. We were talking about an adventure he had in Los Angeles, California in 1958. I asked him, “How much did you pay for the hotel you stayed in?” He said, “Oh, I don’t know 8 or 9 dollars a night.” Later I found the receipt: $8.50 a night! He has great stories and tells them well.

Among my blessings is the fact that I knew all of my grandparents as an adult. Great and interesting people, each and every one.

On my way to Birchwood, I stopped for a long visit with my brother and sister-in-law, who live in Rochester, Minnesota. My sister-in-law has a wonderfully cheerful spirit. I am kind of interested in my siblings’ spouses. How they are similar to each other and how they appeal to my siblings. My brother Dave (I have two) is really smart and funny. We have a lot of interests in common, so he is always fun to talk to.

Now I am at a beautiful and peaceful lake near Birchwood. I woke up to the sound of rain in the woods.

Today I’m going to get some provisions (I’m hungry.) and start a good book. I also need to find a church to attend on Sunday, maybe in Duluth.

Be well.

Pastor

1 comment:

  1. Pastor,

    Thanks for sharing. I felt as though I was there. Looking forward to future installments.

    Jim Gross

    ReplyDelete