Thursday, July 22, 2010

I am not a RAGBRAI fanatic.

I am not a RAGBRAI fanatic. I’ve enjoyed it in the past and I’m looking forward to it this year, but I don’t think ‘everyone should do it.’ I don’t think ‘It’s the Best!’

In fact, being both Midwestern by birth and Lutheran by upbringing, I’m not really fanatical about very much. I find most things to be “just fine” and “pretty good.” But there are a few things about which I am passionate bordering on the kind of uncritical enthusiasm characterized by the word ‘fanatical.’

I am passionate about those I love. It’s not that I think they are perfect; it’s just that their imperfections don’t dampen my enthusiasm. I am passionate about some music and a few books. I am passionate about my mom’s peach pie (which Joe has learned to make this summer). And I am passionate about God’s love for humanity, all of humanity!

So… I am not a RAGBRAI fanatic, but it’s pretty cool and it starts in a few days and I think I’m ready! Five years ago a group of us from Grace, did an 80 mile day from Algona to Lake Mills. As our RAGBRAI day drew near, Dirk Swanson gave me the best encouragement. He said and I quote, “Remember, if you can do 10 miles you can do RAGBRAI, because there is a town every 10 miles.” That was both true and helpful. His other encouragement was, “Don’t forget that for every hill you have to climb, there is one you get to coast down.” That was also true and helpful.

When I did that 80 mile day 5 years ago, our church office was in the basement of Dr. Varcoe’s building. I’ll never forget how hard it was the day after to get down that long flight of stairs with my sore, stiff, sunburned body. (As I recall both Kim and Vicar Lang laughed when they saw me.)

Two years ago, John and Joe and I did the whole thing. It was the summer after I got divorced so our team named was BMC for Bill’s Mid-Life Crisis and the boys started to lovingly refer to the ride as “Dad’s death march across Iowa.” It was hilly and hot and hard, but I pedaled every mile and we made it.

This past winter as the announcement of the 38th RAGBRAI route drew near, I asked the boys if they wanted to do it again. I was shocked when they said “yes” with more than a little enthusiasm. I didn’t realize that they had enjoyed it so much. I honestly thought they were just humoring me two years ago. So the route was announced and we signed up and now it’s almost upon us.

I like a lot of things about RAGBRAI: the food, the people, the colors, the small towns and scenery. But what I love best about RAGBRAI is the metaphor. RAGBRAI is life. (And this may be where you begin to doubt my earlier promise that “I am not a RAGBRAI fanatic.”)

RAGBRAI is life. I mean, RAGBRAI is a good metaphor for life.

For the rider, it has a very distinct beginning and end, from one river to another. A rider like me, who is interested in symbolism and metaphors will dip his or her back tire in the Missouri River at the beginning of the ride and then dip his or her front tire in the Mississippi at the end of the ride. For a Christian, life begins and ends with water too. On one end of the journey we’re baptized. On the other end with our caskets draped in a white cloth to remind us of that baptism, those gathered are told that our life, not matter how long or short, begins and ends as “a baptized child of God.”

RAGBRAI like life is a journey. It has its ups and downs, twists and turns, uphill struggles, head winds, break-downs, detours and those coasting downhill wind at your back moments too.

Along the way there are people. Some you will see only once, only briefly. Some you will see occasionally throughout the week. Some will be a part of your ride for a day or two. You may begin your ride with one person and end it with someone else altogether. There will be towns and food and music and storms and sleepless nights and mornings that come too soon. And then there will be that one last glorious day.

Two years ago the ride ended in Bettendorf. After a long ride, the last day was short and almost all down hill. Eventually we reached the last rise before a 3 mile coast down to the Mississippi. And while 10,000 riders have a tendency to spread out in the middle of the ride, on the last day there is a growing multitude of people in every imaginable color from all over the world all streaming to the same place. Emotional sap that I am, I’m writing this with a lump in my throat: if RAGBRAI is life, that last day is heaven!

So my bags are packed and my plans are made and if I don’t see you on the journey, at least I’ll see you soon.

Love,

Pastor

1 comment:

  1. Bill, You should collect your blogs into a book. Very thoughtful and interesting. Be safe, good luck, and have fun! Nancy Bowers

    ReplyDelete